Monday, February 4, 2013

Trials and Triumphs

I have always had a good life, a great family, and a great neighborhood. School has always been something I enjoyed and I've always had friends. I have never had a valid reason to complain about anything and I am glad for that. But lately I have been thinking about trials.

I had a seminary teacher my sophomore year of high school that helped a lot in changing my outlook on life. There is one lesson we had that I have recently been thinking about a lot. It was focused on the atonement and a talk entitled "Sunday Will Come" by Joseph B. Wirthlin and was given in the October 2006 General Conference. (if you would like to read it here is the link: Sunday Will Come )

I remember sitting in class as a 15 year old girl who had no worries other than if the boy she liked knew she existed, but this lesson hit a chord with me. I sat on the third row and about four seats in. It was the perfect spot. My class was first hour and this particular teacher was known very well for his enthusiastic, and often times, very loud approach to teaching. Everyone loved him. But today was different. He wasn't teaching in his loud rambunctious manner, and was rather quiet. I remember leaning forward in my seat and feeling the spirit so strongly. I learned so much that day. I learned that no matter how hard times may get that it is up to us to persevere and to remember the character of our loving Heavenly Father.

This lesson hit me so strongly. A lot of it is because of something that happened before I was even born. My mother's father died during a heart transplant when she was three months along with me. I don't ever remember being told about him, when he died or anything like that, but I always knew. As a little girl I remember envying Kaitlyn because she got to know Grandpa Craig and I didn't. I can recall going out back when I was upset and swinging on the swing set and singing songs that I made up about knowing Grandpa. I would imagine him pushing me on the swings. I always missed him, but he was always my special friend when I was little. I still think about him every day and I love him, but it's not the same as when I was little.

So when I read this talk it was such a comfort to me to know that Sunday will come. I will meet him and I will get to be with all of my family forever someday. So I moved on after a while. I sort of forgot about the talk that had made such an impact and went on with my high school career. I graduated and was a part of the Hyrum City Royalty the summer and fall after graduation. That was when I really got to know Allisa. We had so much fun that summer, getting to know each other, talking about life, driving to and from parades, complaining about having to wear formal dresses on hot summer days, talking to little girls who came up to get a picture with the princesses. She made my summer that much better, and I learned what an amazing person she is. (If you'd like to know more about Allisa and her amazing family you can find her mom's blog here."



Then after our parades were over I got the news Allisa's tumor was back with a vengeance. She had already battled cancer once before and won but this time wasn't looking very good. She passed away in January of 2012. I have never questioned my life and what I was doing with it so much as when she passed away. It was at this time that I revisited this talk and had my own personal triumph amidst trial. That triumph was one of realizing that I do have a testimony. That I do know that we must travel through the darkness in order to come unto Christ. We must go through the refiners fire so that we can be comfortable in the presence of our Heavenly parents. I know that all these things are for our good and that we can and must endure them well. The Lord knows everything and so I know that he knows what I can handle. This quote is the one that got really helps me through my dark moments:

 "Each of us will have our own Fridays—those days when the universe itself seems shattered and the shards of our world lie littered about us in pieces. We all will experience those broken times when it seems we can never be put together again. We will all have our Fridays.
But I testify to you in the name of the One who conquered death—Sunday will come. In the darkness of our sorrow, Sunday will come." -Joseph B. Wirthlin

No comments:

Post a Comment