Friday, March 29, 2013

Daily Goals

Lately I have been thinking in short term an awful lot. I think it is mostly because I leave in a mere 19 days. Every day counts. Every day is a memory of family and friends that I can take with me. And every day I should be doing something to make someone's life better.

There is a quote from Margaret Peters that says, "Time has a wonderful way of showing us what really matters." What a statement! If only we were always in a situation that we understood limited time. We would be more sincere, less quick to be offended, faster to love, more willing to share, and more empathetic towards others feelings. But knowing that you are on borrowed time is also a burden. Every little thing means something, every moment counts, and it has begun to wear on my emotions. I need to work harder to be less frustrated with myself and more apt to finding ways to serve.

Jimmy Valvano has, as of late, been a hot topic in our house. He was a man who just when his life was beginning to take off and become something amazing, was diagnosed with, what would be, a fatal bout of cancer. But it didn't stop him from realizing the importance of things like his family and friends, and not letting the really hard times get you down. He gave this speech at the Espy's and here is just a little clip of it...

 
I love his three daily needs. We should always remember to laugh, think, and cry a little everyday to help live life to the fullest. I know that as I am preparing to go on a mission that I will have days where all I want to do is cry, definitely not laugh! But the Lord has a sense of humor and if I keep a positive outlook in life then I will be able to accomplish so much more in my life. 

I know that the Lord loves each and every one of us. He did not send us here to suffer, he sent us here to learn. Sometimes learning and becoming better requires a little bit of growing pain. But as a wise teacher told me, "The plan of salvation is not just about getting somewhere. It is about becoming someone." I hope that I can make my Heavenly Parents, as well as my Earthly family proud of the person that I am trying to become. 

So I am going to work a little harder each day to make sure that I laugh a little, spend some time in thought, and allow my emotions to be moved to tears. I love this gospel and I love life, I love my family, and am excited and already own a great love for the Norwegian people. As my dad always says, "The Lord loves you and so do I."

Copyright: Vintage Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment