Tuesday, May 21, 2013

13 days till Norway


Hallo Everyone!!!
Holy Moly! Already P-day again! Wow, it's amazing how quickly the time goes!! It feels like we were only just going to sleep and Sister Hodgkiss said "#6moredaystilPday" but really. It never ceases to amaze especially since the first month of my mission is gone!?! I should be getting my travel plans on Friday and then I'm outta here like 9ish days after that! I don't know if I'm ready to speak Norsk all the time, or if I'm ready for anything really...other than breaking out of prison...I mean the MTC.

I Sure Missed This Girl on Mother's Day
! Mom how was Mothers Day??? I hope you had an amazing day and that you enjoyed every minute of it! We celebrated Mothers Day here with our district...I don't have my camera right now but I'll send pictures later. On our temple walk we all took turns saying what we loved about our mothers, one trait that we wanted to get from them and use in our own families, and one tradition that they started that we want to keep. I loved it and it was a nice way to focus on our moms without being able to talk to them.

We got two new "investigators" this past week as well. Their names are Steve and Brian. We haven't really taught them yet but we have shared a little message, I am interested to see how it will go. We are also still teaching Kjetil. I have had a bit of a rough time with Kjetil just because I didn't understand what he needed from us, or why he was talking to us. (Other than the fact that it is the MTC and that's what he's here for...) But we had a lesson last week that we walked in and the first thing I said to him was, "Kjetil, I don't feel like I know who you are. I'm trying and would really like to know you, but I need your help. So will you help me out?" I'm not going to lie it definitely wasn't the most spiritual lesson we have ever had but I felt so much more able to focus on his needs and who he is as a person after that. Then yesterday we were teaching him and we were loving it! HE was the one asking questions and showing and interest in things and he finally prayed!! It was so good!! And we totally lost track of time. We ended up teaching him a 45 minute lesson, when we were supposed to be in and out in 20 minutes or less. Bu


t it was just so good! And there was another teacher observing the whole time and he talked to us afterwards telling us that he felt that it was a really great lesson, and that he was very impressed with our Norsk! (He is a Swede...so he understood everything we were saying...)

Brother De Costa's back (remember the nightmare named Armond? Yeah he's now our teacher!) I think I am thoroughly going to enjoy him as a teacher! Brenna, he kind of reminds me of you! He says the weirdest things! Like yesterday he couldn't remember all of our names, he's been gone for three weeks, and he was getting frustrated with himself and out of nowhere he was like "Son of a Motherless Goat!" Really?! Who says things like that! But it's definitely going to be interesting! He's just so different from Bro B. or Sister Brown...but it will be good I think!

I love devotionals!!! Like seriously though! So last Tuesday, after running back from the temple in the rain, we went straight to devotional. It was so good!! We talked about how faith improves knowledge. And if we have the faith to jump then the Lord will help us to know what we should do next. We also talked about what kind of missionaries we need to be (see Mosiah 28:3), because we are on the "frontlines" of this earthly battle with Satan. We were informed that more than half of the quorum of the 12 are assigning 250+ mission calls a week per quorum member assigned. That is a lot of mission calls!! It is so exciting to be among those numbers myself. Then on Sunday night we talked about how everything you go though in preparing you to feel joy. I loved that. Everything prepares us to feel joy, but that doesn't mean that we won't/can't choose to have joy in those moments as well. Then we talked about the mission culture. Elder Littlefield was talking about how every mission he visits he gets a different ending to the statement "In this mission we..." Often, he said, we have things like "we baptize", we don't baptize, we serve, we ride bikes, we work hard, etc. Then he looked at us and said, "It is up to you to decide now what you want your mission culture to be like." I've been thinking about that a lot since then, what am I going to make my mission?

On Sunday in Relief Society, Sister Janice Kapp Perry came and spoke to us. It was AMAZING! (She wrote "A Childs Prayer", "As Sisters In Zion", "I'm Trying to Be like Jesus", "I love to see the Temple", "Love is Spoken Here", "I Belong to the Church of Jesus Christ", "Army of Helaman"(which song is in the Norsk Hymn Book!!!), etc.) She talked about the two-fold purpose of serving a mission which are to 1) Sanctify the Missionary, 2) Bring others to the gospel. She was wonderful! And we sang a song that she wrote and were the first group ever to sing it! It's to the music "As Sisters In Zion" but she has written new lyrics that are specifically for Sister Missionaries and it's called "The Sisters of Zion". It's beautiful! She's making a whole album just for Sister missionaries...mom if you see it you should get it.  
Sister Roe and Sister Ausen hanging out...no really :) 

If there's anything that I am really learning here in the MTC it's to be more patient. I had been told several times that I am a very empathetic person by different people and blessings. But I don't think I ever thought of myself that way or really understood what that meant until I came here. It is so hard being with someone (Usually it's at least 10 other people) all the time and picking up on other people’s emotions and problems. I have been trying so hard to be more patient with others, and with myself. Because all too often I get frustrated with myself because I am not able to help others with their problems, frustrations, and difficulties..but I have decided that if I am able to remain positive and upbeat then that will be the best way to serve those around me.

Okay, Mom, remember those shoes that you got Brenna for Christmas? Remember how I brought my pair with me? Remember how I had already had them for almost a year? Yeah...they ripped. But they are possibly the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn in my life. If it is at all possible, I would be grateful  if you could send me some more like them....I'm a size 10, remember? :) If not that's okay, I can get by, it's just that they were nice and lightweight and all my other shoes are more...cold weather types. And while it won't be as hot there (Norway) as it will be here (Utah) it's still going to be pretty warm for a while, especially if I end up in Bergen, Stavanger, Trondheim, or Oslo....even though I'm praying for Tromsø. ;) Thanks.

Okay I have to do it. Harry Potter is never going to not be a part of my life. We were talking about the Holy Ghost, and promptings and I thought to myself. (You ready for this Porter?)
 "Professor, is this real or is it just in my head?
Of course it's all in your head, but that doesn't mean it's not real."
And to back that up with a quote from Elder Bednar on the subject of revelation/promptings: "Too often we ask, "Is this the Spirit, or is this just me?" Quit worrying about it!" I loved that! Quit worrying about it! If it's something good just do it! We shouldn't need to be directed in all the decisions we make! (Dad isn't that a scripture mastery...something about a slothful man that needs to be directed in all things....?)

Doing Laundry and writing letters -- sweet!~
Also, I'm going to send my SD card home to you this week. Please have dad, or Porter, or Brenna, download all of it's contents (there are pictures and videos on there that you haven't seen) and send it back to me. :) Thank you much!! Okay I think that's all for this week! I love you! I miss you! I'm praying for you! Porter I still want to hear all about Prom...and other people......just sayin'! have you done any new crafts (I would love to see pictures of them!!) Daddy I love you! I have written everyone back that wrote me. Grandma Linda, your letter is in the mail today! :) Oh and I'm going to write Joyce's today too. :) And to end this email, some of my favorite quotes of the week:

1."Son of a motherless goat!"--Bro. De Costa
2."What do you learn when you learn a foreign language? Your own." Sister McArthur
3."I only gave out 10 A's this semester, I'm sorry but you didn't make the curve. Too bad you didn't die next semester!"--Plan of salvation lesson with Bro. Bloomfield
4."JOIN OUR FREAKIN' CHURCH!"--Bro. Bloomfield on things that you wish you could say.
5."I love that you had cancer!" Elder Metcalf (going to Denmark) on Sister Hodgkiss day that we all tell her why we love her.
6."The language isn't a barrier, only you can become a barrier for yourself. Allow the spirit to testify, don't focus on your inadequacies."--Sister Pitts
7."The overwhelming majority of the impressions you will ever receive will come without you realizing that they are spiritual impressions. It will come from trying to be a good girl/boy."--Elder Bednar
And Last but certainly not least!! Our song we wrote entitled "Write Me Maybe" (Why yes it is to the tune of "Call Me Maybe")

"I gave my boyfriend a kiss
That's something he's gonna miss
I wasn't looking for this
But Monson changed the age!

We left our boyfriends at home
Future Song Writers
Gave up our cars and our phones
trade all our dollars for Krones
We're headed to Norway!

Long skirts are flowin'
No skin ever showin'
Our nametags are glowin'
Tryin' t' get to ALTA Baby!

Hey, I just left you
And this is Crazy
But here's my email
So write me maybe

And all the Elders here
Drive me crazy
But here's my email
So write me maybe."

Yeah it's pretty cool.....we're going to video it *hopefully* then I'll send it home soon! Love you all!
Always
Sister Roe

No comments:

Post a Comment