Monday, June 3, 2013

I made it to Norway....finally!

First things first. I am sorry for all of the typo's, these Norsk keyboards are going to take some major getting used to!! 

I am finally in Norway! I am so glad to be here and to have the opportunity to live in Sarpsborg! I love it here so much! Okay, well I guess there is no place like to beginning to start. And that beginning would be this: 
Merkurveien 19
1734 Hafslundsøy
Sarpsborg, Norway
Pres and Sister Evans and my girl!

That is my mailing address so feel  free to use it whenever you want to. :)

Alrighty. So last week being at the MTC as the only Norwegian was...interesting to say the least. But it was good all the same. I was so ready to go and that is no lie. The flights. There were two elders that I flew with from SL to Dallas. They were both headed to South Africa. We landed in Dallas literally seconds before a lightening storm hit, which was an adventure. So the tram that I could have taken to get to my other terminal was closed. Instead we had to walk. I am so sorry Kaitlyn.(Kait had been teaching school and so didn't get to talk to Taylor earlier in the day so Taylor was going to call her from Dallas) I tried so hard to call. I got to my terminal with 20 minutes to spare before we were to board the plane and so I went over and tried to call with the pay phone. For some reason, no matter what I tried it wouldn't connect! I was so frustrated because I wanted to talk to you so badly! I cried...the Elders got really frustrated because they couldn't help...and I was crying and they couldn't give me a hug....it was a little humorous. We all pulled out our boarding passes and realized that we were on different flights to London. Theirs left 2 hours after mine. I boarded my plane and we were grounded for about 30 minutes longer than expected because of the storm. I was a little bugged...mostly because I was worried about making my flight in London. I sat next to a young woman from Sweden and a man from Ireland. Both of them asked me about the church so I basically shared the first lesson with them. It was a really cool opportunity! The Irish guy looked at me and said, "No offense, but I like my church better. Because I can drink in my church." 

They both also kept asking me where in Norway I would be going. They were shocked that I really had no clue and that I was going to just end up going wherever they told me to go. Finally our flight took off we had dinner...which was disgusting...thanks for the snacks mom and grandma! And then we slept for the rest of the flight. When we arrived in London I had 45 minutes to get to my next flight and board. Let me just say that the London, Heathrow airport is HUGE!!! I had to take a 10 minute bus ride to get to my next terminal...then I had to go through security again and navigate to my gate. It was crazy. I ran up, handed my ticket to the lady, and she looked at me and said, "You only just made it! Good job." Then as I sat down on the plane the captain said "The doors are closed and we are on our way." Talk about a tender mercy that I made it just in time! 

Getting through the airport in Oslo was a piece of cake. I got my bags, went through customs, and met President and Sister Evans. Then we exchanged money and were on our way to the mission home. That was when I found out that I would be in Sarpsborg with Sister Nance (!!YAY!!) and my beautiful trainer Sister Wheeler. We got to the mission home and the AP's were there waiting for us. (Elders Bird and Van Wagner) Then we had dinner. (Salmon, potatoes, cabbage something or other, salad, rolls, and finished off with cake and berries on top). Oh really quick, Sister Evans found out how much I love Lilacs when I say how many there were just growing wildly all over the place so she cut some for me and put them by my bed that night! Then I had my interview with President, got my phone from the APs and went to take a shower (the most blessed and holy thing ever) and sleep (also was amazing). I slept for like 10 hours straight. It was fantastic and will never happen again on my mission. The next morning, after a delicious breakfast, I caught a couple trains and got to Sarpsborg. 
A beautiful gesture...Tay's favorite smells and simple joys. Sister Evans was so kind to place a vase of them by her bed that night in the mission home....a piece of home!

I got off the train to be embraced by my new companions, and we put my luggage in the car. Then we immediately went contacting! AHH! Talk about being thrown into the work! It is awesome! I love contacting! We talked to lots of people, and got several peoples numbers so we'll see what happens. We are opening Sarpsborg and the members are so excited to have sisters! We have a ward, it's actually the Fredrikstad ward and everyone from Fredrikstad, Sarpsborg, and Halden are in the ward. The members are so awesome! We have a meal appointment almost every night. There are 7 missionaries in out ward. The Fredrikstad Elders, us, and the Halden Elders. No offense to the Elders but during testimony meeting yesterday everyone bore there testimonies saying how happy they were to have so many missionaries, especially sisters! We're the favorites ;) 
Sister Nance was in Taylor's district at the MTC! Now they're companions!

I don't have jet lag. I am just happy to be here and working hard. The country is beautiful and I absolutely love the people! We have our first teach tonight, we'll see how it goes. I am so excited and a little nervous. I will write some hand written letters later today and get them sent off. I love you all! Miss you! Praying for you! Love!

Always, 
Søster Roe

No comments:

Post a Comment