Monday, July 22, 2013

Pull the anchor... and move forward!

Well Hello Again!
It has been quite the...uneventful...week for me in the long run. Especially after the past coulple weeks that were just jam packed with stories and experiences. So sorry if this one isn't as adventerous.
This tunnel walkway has the year 1734 engraved on the top! 
For last Pday we went to Gamelbyen in Fredrikstad. That was really fun actually! We went there and walked around and took pictures and then walked to another fort in Fredrikstad to check that out before we hurried to a member dinner. It was gorgeous though. Right on the water (like most things here in Norway) and just old (again like most things in Norway.) :) It has been extremely hot this week though! It got up to 31.5 degrees the other day and that plus the humidity was ROUGH! But that's okay.

We eat so much food!!!! It is seriously ridiculous how much food we eat as missionaries. We average 3 member dinners a week, and at every member dinner we stuff ourselves until we are going to be sick. Especially when we eat at the Filipino member houses!
I am actually getting a tan in Norway! Who thought that would happen? But seriously! Every time we have a teach, or we are contacting, or bonking or whatever, I get even more sunburned and tan...I can't decide if it is a good or a bad thing. :)
We had a couple awesome things happen this week! So here you go:
1) MERETE HAS A DÅPSDATO!!!! We have set August 10th for her to be baptized and we are so excited for her. It was so fun to see her face when we invited her! She just grinned. And as we set the date and told her that we would continue to meet with her to prepare her for baptism she grinned even bigger! It was awesome! We have a long ways to come still. But the progress is being made! :)
2)We had 2 investigators in church this week! Alex and Merete both came and they both really enjoyed it too! We were so happy to see both of them there, and to see the ward reaching out to them! That was awesome!
3)Alex. We are working with him a lot. He feels the spirit and feels that it is right, but isn't recognizing the answers to his prayers yet. So we are working on that with him. And he has a lot of things going on in his life. So as we keep inviting him and asking him how things are going, he just says, "You know, it takes time." Then in my personal study the other day I read this quote that I think describes his situation perfectly.

 It's from Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr: "I find that the great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving: To reach the port of Heaven, we must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it,--but we must sail, and not drift, or lie at anchor."


What a true statement! I love that quote so much and it just really stood out to me this week.



I am guessing this is an anchor...??? Cool photo anyway!
There is something I just plain don't understand. Old, sometimes senile, or drunk, men. The thing that I just don't understand is this. Why do they always tend to go after me? Why not either of my beautiful companions? This is the mystery of my life as this week yet another man stroked my cheek as he said to me "Du er så pent! Vet du det? Du er pent!"
You know what else just amazes me? The fact that the same phrase, when told to me by one of Biskopen's daughters, or by one of the Olsen girls, just boosts my self confidence and makes me just love them more. Oh the power of a phrase.
Speaking of the Olsen girls! They are just plain awesome btw. And every night they come up to our apartment and we just sit and talk with them! It is so fun! They are the best! And it's always funny when at church they drag us around and tell all of the other youth that we live in their house! :) They make my day!
Playing at Gamelbyen with Sis Nance!
We are having a Vann Krig this week! And I am so excited. It's a water fight hosted by us missionaries to try to better get to know the ward and give them an opportunity to bring their friends and family that either are inactive or non members. It will be so fun and much needed as we enter yet another hot week!
I was thinking about missionary work, and the reasons that I am out here doing what I do, today during studies. Then I flipped open a conference address and began reading "The First Great Commandment" by Elder Jeffrey R. Holland from the Conference Ensign Oct 2012.


'Christ calls Peter to the Discipleship'
The resurrected Lord is talking to Peter after calling him in from the shore and is telling him why he needs him as a disciple. This is my reason for being out here: "Ours is not a feeble message. It is  not hapless. It is not hopeless; it is not to be consigned to the ash heap of history. It is the work of Almighty God and it is to change the world."
I know that I am here, in Norway, as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints because I know that statement is true. This gospel can change lives and the world for the better! And it will. I know that with all my heart!
Well it's Søster Wheeler's last Pday with us in the mish. So it's bound to be a good one right? I'll tell you all about it next week! Love ya!
Always, 
Søster Roe

1 comment:

  1. Sister Roe - I love your blogs! Makes me want to be a missionary!

    ReplyDelete