Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Joy in the Journey

Sept. 9, 2013
Hei Dere,
Beautiful night we spent at Sarpsborg Lake

Family Home Evening at the Nield's! He is the golf pro!

Well another week has gone by and we are now heading towards the tail end of this strangely short transfer. Lots of times I get to this point in the week where I am going to write this post here, and I have no idea what happened this week and what happened two months ago, because it all feels like the same week. But that's okay. First things first, I'm sorry I forgot to send this last week, but HAPPY ANNIVERSARY MOM AND DAD!!!! I hope you two had a wonderful day together and thank you for your wonderful examples of what a marriage should be. You two are the best!


McDonalds in Norway is much better than in the States!
So last Pday was really fun. We ended up just hanging out, eating delicious food, playing lots of ping pong and basketball, and watching a movie. (With permission from President, obviously.)
It seems like one of the main things that has stuck out to us this week is that we had no idea what to expect when we signed up to come on missions. We were driving home one night and realized that we don't feel like missionaries. But then we had to go to the basics and define what a missionary is. A mission does not consist of teaching people constantly and baptizing everyone we meet. (At least my mission isn't)

 A mission is a journey for yourself as well. We go around and try to teach people in a language that we are trying our best to learn, and trying to tell these people that there is a God and that He loves them. But how do you teach about a person that you do not always feel like you know that well. So this is our conclusion. Our missions are a 1 1/2-2 year adventure of learning faith, patience, and love. You put your "life" on hold and learn more about who you are, and whose you are than ever before. And then you invite others to do the same thing. To learn who they are, and that they are important. And what a journey that is. Do we ever really understand that? And can we ever comprehend that it is a life long journey? It's just magnified for me right now into this little period of emphasized learning. But if you pay attention to it, it's always there.
Sorry I got to rambling
.
One thing that I learned this week is the difference between being proud and being confident. I have done quite well in learning this language. I have been blessed to be in a place that people only speak Norwegian to me, and that I can learn quickly. But I have been really hesitant to say that I am doing well. Because I didn't want to sound proud. But the difference between pride and confidence is where you give the credit. I have decided to accept the fact that I am good at this language. I have been blessed with the chance to really learn and focus on my language skills. It is definitely a blessing from the Lord!
Sister Morris and I enjoying our Journey!


The greatest thing we can do in this life though, is to live each day. Find joy IN the journey. Not just FROM the journey. Life is meant to be enjoyed along the way. Especially in the hardest times, that is when we need to recognize and appreciate the joy the most.
We have a new elder in our District. Emergency transfer, because of his comps health. Elder Tate. He's fresh out of high school, and the MTC he's awesome! And very mature for his age! He's going to be a fun addition.
I am trying to get my Norwegian license and the only issue is my test is scheduled for the day after moves. I don't know if I'll be here. And if we don't cancel it 2 weeks ahead of time then we have to just pay for it all anyways. I called Pres, cause I don't want to cost more money and he just said, "That's a very sneaky question Sister Roe." And "Don't worry about it, it will be fine." So I don't know...I guess we'll see what happens when transfers come around.
Read the talk from 2011 May conference. Waiting Upon The Lord. Well I gotta go. We're headed back out to Gamlebyen for pday today. Hope you all have a great week! Love you!! Keep the Faith!
Always!
Søster Roe

No comments:

Post a Comment