Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Abide with Me

Hallo Alle Sammen!

Goodness what a week this has been folks!!!! It was quite the adventure! We went to Bergen for Wednesday and Thursday for the mission tour! It was super sweet! We had pday with all of the missionaries for the West and the north zones and I got to see lots of friends from other areas! It was sweet! In my group of 21 missionaries from the mtc 11 of us were there at the conference! It was so nice to catch up! 
10 of my MTC cohorts! Now we are all nearing the end of our missions :(

Plus I got to see Thurgood, Hall, Corrigan, and Vause, all peeps that I served with in Stavanger! It was awesome! 
So sweet to see these guys and Thurgood!!!

Wednesday night we went on splits and contacted/tried to find less actives. We had a really cool experience! We, Sisters Hornback, Chapman, and myself, were trying to find these less actives, but none of them were at the listed address, so we were contacting and there were a bunch of people all over the place! We had made a goal to have two street teaches before we left and were considering changing our goal due to lack of time (we had 30 minutes) But we felt really strongly that we should keep our goal of two teaches. 

So we said a prayer and split up. Sister Chapman started teaching a guy almost immediately, and Sister Hornback and I went to find the next person. We found them. We were able to reach our goal and were still home before 9:30. Success!

Then we had the Dyches conference the next day! It was super good and I learned a lot. Mostly it just hit me how little time I have left here. That was a frightening moment, when he asked the greenie next to me how long they'd been on the mission (2 months) and then one of the sisters from my group said, "Hey! That's about how long we have left!"
Flying to Bergen

What?!?! I'm super stoked, and totally ready for the next stage of my life, but I am far from ready to leave this country. Can all the people I love and need just move here please? Thank you!

Okay, I have a question for you!

How do you help some one overcome the fear of the future? One of our investigators, who is super awesome and wants to be baptized and follow God, and be a servant of the Lord for eternity and all that jazz, will not allow himself to just take the step of faith because he is not sure who he'll be or where he'll be in 5 years down the road. Sometimes I just want to say, "Well do any of us know?" 

If we allowed the uncertainty of the future rule the possibility of today, then what's the point of living?? But then I have to stop myself as a little voice in my head says to me, "But dear Sister Roe, how many times have you let the question of tomorrow hinder the progression of today?"
My view out my train window...what a gorgeous train ride we had!

Well dang it! Why does the little voice in my head (I should just give it a name...it'd be easier to write that way ;) ) have to be so right all the time?

God does not want to hinder us, he does not want us to stumble because of the questions or uncertainty that we face from day to day. So what does it take then? Faith. 

Doesn't it always come down to faith? Trusting in the Lord that He's going to help you get where you need to get, and be who you need to be? 

So what are some of the things right now what I need to have more faith in? In being able to speak Norwegian, yep. In finding people to teach, uh huh. In trusting that contacting for 5 hours in the pouring rain will actually be a productive use of time? Absolutely! 

Sometimes when it gets hard, when "the night is coming on", and we aren't ready to be alone, or to have to take a step into the darkness, we need to trust that the Lord will "abide with" and guide us. :)

I have been singing and listening to the Hymn "abide with me" a ton this past week! Can you tell? :) But really I love it! So this is the song of the week folks :) 
The old gang reunited!

  1.  Abide with me! fast falls the eventide;
    The darkness deepens. Lord, with me abide!
    When other helpers fail and comforts flee,
    Help of the helpless, oh, abide with me!
  2. Swift to its close ebbs out life's little day.
    Earth's joys grow dim; its glories pass away.
    Change and decay in all around I see;
    O thou who changest not, abide with me!
  3. I need thy presence ev'ry passing hour.
    What but thy grace can foil the tempter's pow'r?
    Who, like thyself, my guide and stay can be?
    Thru cloud and sunshine, Lord, abide with me.
   I love you all! I miss you all! I pray that you all will have His Spirit with you and that you will be able to feel His presence in your life! Have a great week!!
 
  Always!
  Søster Roe
  
   1) Haha this sign was above the elevatore in our apartment building one night.... :) 
   2) Flying to Bergen!
   3) Me, Hall, Vause, Corrigan, and Thurgood
   4) We had to selfie it!
   5) Reunited from the mtc! (one person is not in the picture)

No comments:

Post a Comment