Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Saving a life


Howdy Alle Sammen!                                                                               Aug. 4, 2014

Wow, that was an awkward blanding of språks....unnskyld. My bad. Haha

Well this week was pretty chill. But still a great week! I am loving life here in Trondheim, this place seriously just gets better! Sister Robbins is an amazing person, a great companion, and quite hilarious! 

Her and the other Sisters are seriously helping a ton to make this a great transfer! And I'm stoked! The work is awesome! Trondheim is serioulsy on fire! People are amazing!
Knocking at Nidaros

Let me tell you about just one of the miracles that we saw this week! We were really, really blessed yesterday to be able to meet two women that are in their twenties. They had heard about the church, the one girl found a book of Mormon on a bench an picked it up. Then yesterday they just showed up to church, all by themselves. They live about an hour away, but they came to church, asked questions, really enjoyed themselves and we are going to start meeting with them this week. 

What?! I mean seriously. Ka e det som skjer her!? People are seriously prepared! I love this! I love seeing the little miracles! What incredible tender mercies they are. 

It was a huge blessing to meet these two yesterday because the rest of the week was filled with people being rude towards us....hey, it happens. But it was rough. 

One day, we were out contacting and no one would listen, and those that did stop just wanted to argue with us, lame saus. 

So we stopped on a bridge over the river. And said a prayer to know what we should do, and where we should go. Then out of the corner of our eye we saw something white splashing around in the water. It was a bird. It looked like it was trapped somehow. We went around the bridge to see if we could get down to it, there was a fence all along the water, but on part of it was bent down. I looked at Sister Robbins, and she said, "Go for it." I climbed really quickly over the fence and walked carefully down to the waterside. I knelt down next to the bird and it froze. I talked to it for a second until it let me gently run my fingers down it's back. I quickly realized the issue, it was caught on some super thick fishing line. We searched frantically for something to cut the wire with, and then I remembered that I had keys in my skirt pocket. We cut the line, and gently helped it up onto the land and out of the water. 

Okay, so yeah, it was a cool experience to save a bird. But I learned the lesson from it much later, than that day. 

How often are we the ones that are caught in the fishing line? Do we try, stubbornly, to free ourselves from the traps and snares that we are found in, when there is actually nothing we can do, we really just need someone else to help us out?

How many times, in my life, have I rejected the help of the Lord, or those that He sends in his stead, because "I can do it myself"? How foolish am I? 

Here's the thing, I hate the fact that I have weaknesses. I really do. And I'm really mean to myself because of my weaknesses. But then I read in the scriptures and I remember, "oh yeah. God gave me my weaknesses just as he gave me everything else. Do I despise God? No? Then I can't despise myself and the weaknesses he gave me."

Scenery this week of this gorgeous country
One thing I was thinking a lot about this week because of the many people that got in my face and said to me, "God does not exist, you have dillusioned yourself" was trust. 

Trusting in God is such a powerful thing. With him, anything is possible. But we have to, sometimes literally, take a leap of faith that He will catch us. That He will make anything possible. 

We have to jump. So when in my life have I jumped and seen that He has caught me?

Everytime I pray to know where to go, what to say, or ask for comfort. I jump every single time that I feel the pressures of the advesary to just go home, or turn around, or believe that I am worth nothing. I jump everytime someone tells me that God does not exist, and I say, sometimes quietly at first, "yes. He does exist. And He loves you."

And everytime I jump, He is there, He catches my feet. He leads me through the darkness. And everytime that I do jump, it becomes less and less of a jump and more of a hop, and then a step.

I know that God exists. I know that He loves me. I know that He hears every utterance of prayer and He knows every penitent heart. He is oh so aware of every single one of us. Whether we choose to believe in Him or not. He believes in us. He is always there, waiting for us with open arms. He will catch us, He will lift us up. He is aware. He is patient. He is loving. He is almighty. He is God. 

I had an amazing opportunity to realize this myself on Wednesday. Sister Oldham and I were on splits, it was POURING rain, and we were headed to an appointment. We stopped a man on our way to the bus and started talking to him. He was atheist, and he asked us lots of questions about why bad things happen to good people, and such. As we talked to him, all three of us completely soaked through to the bone, my hair literally dripping wet, we talked for 15 minutes. The spirit, on that little gravel path in the middle of a neighborhood, was so incredibly strong as we testified of God, of His existence, and of His love. 

I know. He is there. He loves us. He knows what is best for us. He will never force us. But He invites us on a daily basis to act, to come closer to him. To feel of His love. To be safe in His embrace. 

What is He inviting you to do?

I love you all! I miss you all! I am praying for you all!

Always!
Søster Roe

1) Knocking on the door of Nidaros last pday :)
2) I love the skies of Norway! Gorgeous!
2 Attachments

No comments:

Post a Comment