Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Elder Bednar is COMING!!! SO STOKED!

Sept 1, 2014

Bare sånn dåkker vet, I'M DYING IN TRONDHEIM!!!!(This is mission lingo for finishing one's mission out in a particular area)

Yep. Yesterday was moves call and I found out that my last area on the mish will be Trondheim! Ahh! I cannot believe that I am actually in my last transfer, did I ever believe that this moment would actually come? NO! Bahh!! Anyways. Yep. That's how it is. :) 

Sister Robbins and I are staying together! I am stoked! I love this girl! She is so funny and I couldn't wish for a better last companion! Seriously though! 
Seasons are changing here...this is one confused tree!

So last Monday....Yep. That feels like an eternity ago....

We ate reindeer!! Haha It was not the first time I'd had it, but it was pretty good. It was super chill. We had dinner with Elder Christiansen and his family which was awesome! We just had a discussion about missionary work, and especially how we can help members to do missionary work! It was so good! They were all super laid back as they shared their stories of how they had shared the gospel with their friends and neighbors over the years. It was great!! 

This week is going to be nuts!!!! We leave Friday night for Oslo, we will be in Oslo until Monday morning! NUTS! But I'm stoked! We are having an all day sisters conference in Oslo on Saturday, which will be AMAZING to get all of the sisters together! I am so excited to see everyone! :) And then on Sunday we are going to Stake conference in Oslo with ALL OF THE MISSION!!!! And I am so excited to see members from each of my areas! Tender mercy! And then after the stake conference Elder Bednar is going to be doing a special 3 hour training with the missionaries! Dude, this is gonna be tight! Stoked out of my mind! I love Bednar firesides! It is going to be a week of being spiritually pumped! Bring it on!
District planning :)

This past week I saw one thing that happened over and over again. Whenever we go out on the street we are there for two reasons. 1) To teach and invite others to learn about the gospel. and 2) To be taught by the spirit. 

So many times on my mission I go out on the street thinking, "Alright, I'm here and I'm ready, and I deserve to be able to see some success from my work. So lets see it." And then Heavenly Father says, "Yeah, Sister Roe, you are ready and you can and will see success, but it may not come how you think it should."

All too often I get frustrated as we have great discussions with people, and spirit is felt, and testimony is borne, and then they still say no. But that does not allow me to get frustrated. I am the one being tested and taught so many times about the importance of patience, the importance of unconditional love, the importance of optimism. 
Restoration Restaurant where Elder Christianson took us for dinner!

We had one of those nights last night. Everyone that we talked to said no! Even though we had some really amazing chats and the spirit was so strong at times, they still said no. At one corner we stopped to pray, and I felt the gentle reminder to remain calm and optimistic. The next door we knocked on the lady said that she had, had so many missionaries that had knocked on her door and the answer was still no. Then we offered her some service. AUTOMATICALLY her countenance changed. Her heart seemed to soften right then as she said, "You know, that's really something I will consider. I could actually use some help. Can I call you after I think about it?"

No she wasn't converted to the gospel. No she didn't suddenly want us to come teach her and all of her friends and neighbors, but suddenly it seemed like she saw us for who we are. People. Two human beings that love people and just want to help them have a better and happier life. That made all the difference for me that night. I was so much happier knowing that I might be able to help someone, somehow. 

There is a quote from Ralph Parlette;

"Strength and struggle go together. The supreme reward of struggle is strength. Life is a battle and the greatest joy is to overcome. The pursuit of easy things makes things weak. Do not equip yourselves with superior power and hope to escape the responsibility and work. It cannot be done. It is following the lines of least resistance that make rivers and men crooked."

This is why missions are so humbling. We have to be humble to assist in the work. So that one day, we too can say, as President Packer has said, "I know the Lord. I am His witness."

I love the Lord. I love my mission. I love the trials and blessings I have seen and experienced. Life is so good! 

I love you all! I miss you all! I'm praying for you all! 

Always!
Søster Roe

No comments:

Post a Comment