Monday, October 6, 2014

The Final Week of my Mission!!!

Ein uke te.                                                                                                   Oct. 6, 2014

To begin today I am going to share with you a quote. This quote encompasses the consistent theme that we saw throughout this past week.

"The creator of the seas, sands, and endless stars is reaching out to you this very day." --President Dieter F. Uchtdorf

This quote, when I heard it on Saturday hit me and made it oh so clear the truth and the patterns that I have seen through my whole mission, but especially through the past week of experiences. Shall we, as per usual, begin at the beginning?

Last Tuesday was Sister Robbins' birthday. I was really nervous about it because I know how close she is to her family and how difficult it could potentially be spending her birthday away from them. I was praying and pleading with the Lord that it would be a great day and that everything would go as planned. Well half of the appointments we had that day fell through but it was still a great day. 
My last full week as a missionary! Sister Robbins and Sister Roe.

We had district meeting, at which the district had decorated the room for Sister Robbins' birthday and sang to her. We celebrated with cake and good conversation. Then we ran to an appointment with a member who has two really little kids. It was so nice to be there and to be able to talk and strengthen one another. After that it just continued to get better and we went to another member who made the day extra special for sister Robbins by baking cupcakes, giving her a little gift as well as a beautiful bouquet of flowers. This sweet member probably has no idea how happy she made me by blessing my sweet companion! I am so grateful for the people that go the extra mile to make the big difference. I need to be more like them. 

Then we went to Charles and Arnold's house, and what a party that was! We ate African food that was native to the Ivory coast. The whole household joined us in singing "Happy Birthday" to Sister Robbins. We ate some crazy mat! But it was deilig! We ate with our hands, I had some of the spiciest chicken I think I've ever seen! As well as having the interesting experience of eating fish in such a way as this; it was cooked whole and the head was still attached....it's eyes just stared at me as if asking my why on earth I would eat such and innocent creature. The head was lopped off and the rest of the fish was put onto my plate. I had to take out the spine and the bones and pick through that to the meat. It wasn't all the bad. It was Talapia....I don't know how to spell it. But it was messy! 
African cuisine

Then the guys brought down a cake to Sister Robbins that they had decorated themselves! It was so sweet! 

This whole day was, to me, a testimony that God is aware of us. He loves us. He knows our needs, and He will do what He can to fill those needs! He helped make it an amazing day for Sister Robbins, and for me. 

The rest of this week passed in slight frustration as almost every appointment that we had fell through. It felt like everything that we tried to accomplish we failed at and I was beginning to get frustrated. Then it was finally the weekend, the time that we had been anticipating for weeks! General Conference! I love general conference! 
Dinner with Charles and group...what a great night!

On Saturday we got to watch the women's session as well as the Saturday Morning session of conference! It was so good. So uplifting and I got so much out of it! I loved the focuses, especially the mentioning of the temple. I love the focus of preparing for the future. What a bright happy future we have in this life! We are so blessed! 

Sunday rolled around and we prepared for another 6 hours of conference! We had scheduled to have about an hour and a half to contact in between sessions and try to find much needed new investigators. We listened to the Saturday evening session and afterwards were invited to join the Elders for dinner cutting our contacting time from 1 and a half hours to just a half an hour. 
Steeple in Fall Wonder

We gathered our things and stood at the door of the church to pray before leaving and hitting the streets. As we walked out the door we looked at each other and said, "We're not contacting. We're teaching." 

As we walked I said another silent prayer in my heard, "Heavenly Father, we have been diligent. We have been talking to people all week. We have had appointments with people that they have not held. I feel as if I have done absolutely everything I can this week to help this work go forth and I feel like I'm not making much ground. Please, help us. Please? We only have so much time."

Not more than 2 minutes later we stopped a man, a student, on the street. He stopped, he talked with us, we asked him if we could teach him right then. He said yes! We went back to the church with him and we taught him and were able to get another appointment with him for this week. 

What a miracle this was! As he left Sister Robbins and I looked at each other and started crying. We knew that God was aware of us and our needs! He knew that we had done absolutely everything that we could and through this miracle He showed us that He is aware of us and the things we do. He knows that we are doing our absolute best and that we need his help to accomplish the rest. Yesterday it was as if God said, "Here you go Sisters. I know. I love you. You're doing a good job."

"Courage is the form of every virtue at it's testing point." --C S Lewis

Sometimes it takes courage to continue. 

I love this life! I am shocked that this is my last week as a missionary. Time goes so fast. I hope that you all have a fantastic week, I know I will! I love you all! I miss you all! I pray for you all!  

Until next week!

Always!
Søster Roe

1) Me and sister Robbins.
2) Fall in Trondheim
3) Afrikansk mat
4) Charles and the household!

No comments:

Post a Comment